St. Theresaâ€™s Church
Dist. Nainital – 263 126,
Telephone – 05946-266806.
Patron Saint – St. Theresa of Lisieux.
Year of Establishment – 1947.
Parish Priest – Fr. Gregory Mascarenhas.
Asst. Parish Priest – Fr. John King Bharath.
Kathgodam, being a railway terminus to the hills, needed a residence which could be used by visiting Priests and travelling missionaries. A house and a plot of land was acquired in 1947 and a part of the house was used as a Chapel. Because Kathgodam was considered to be a central place, need was felt for a resident Priest there. Priest stationed here could visit more easily all the surrounding areas where some Catholic families were scattered. Due to the importance of the place as a missionary centre, a part of the “Fonseca Estate” was acquired in 1961 in order to build a Church and a home for the aged. The Church was built and blessed on the 24th May 1964. In 1967, Ursulines of Mary Immaculate (UMI) were invited to render their help in Kathgodam. In 1968, home for the aged was officially inaugurated by late Bishop Conrad de Vito. In 1968 UMI Sisters opened a school at Kathgodam (Nirmala School) In 1986, the diocesan Social Service Centre was shifted to the present site and in 1989 a new school (St. Teresaâ€™s) was opened by the diocese with Fr. J.B. Mascarenhas as the first Principal. In 1991 Missionary Sisters of Immaculate were invited to cater to the needs of the leprosy patients in the surrounding area. A piece of land was purchased at Motinagar and a hospital (Jeevan Daan) was built to cater to the needs of leprosy patients. Sisters of the Missionaries of Charity (M.C.) have opened their House at Motinagar to render their services to the poor and destitutes.0