Church of Our Lady of Glory
Thiruvallur Dt – 601 205.
Tel: 044 – 27 97 64 60
This Church of Our Lady of Glory was established in 1515 at Pulicat, a fishing village, separated by a lake which connects the Bay of Bengal. One early morning the fishermen went for fishing. They caught no fish but a log of wood. In despair, they threw this log on the shore. A wood cutter cut this log to be used as fuel but blood splashed on his eyes and made him blind. His wife applied the blood on his eyes and the wood cutter regained his sight. On the other side of the log there was a woman’s figure engraved. They built a thatched shed and started worshipping this log. After some years, Portuguese merchants visited Pulicat trading centre. They built a new chapel in 1515, enshrined the statue and named it ‘Our Lady of Joy’ because it was the same statue that they had lost in a storm. Archbishop Most Rev Dr Casimir Gnanadickam SJ laid the foundation stone for the new Church.
Incoming search terms:
- pazhaverkadu madha church
- roman catholic churches in pattabiram
- our lady of glory church pulicat
- our lady of glory shrine pazhaverkadu
- pazhaverkadu church