St Peter Church
West Mada Church Street,
Chennai – 600 013.
Tel 044 – 25 95 33 26
This Church has a rich historical past. It dates back to the 17th century, when the East India Company had established a trading centre in Madras. An enterprising group of Hindus monopolised the transport of goods by boats, since no proper harbour was there those days. In course of time, some of them became Catholics. A small chapel was constructed by them to fulfil their religious obligations. In 1779, the Government allocated Royapuram for their residence and the fishing community shifted from Chepauk to Royapuram. The present Church was built with a portion of the Government’s grant and it was erected as a Parish in 1829 by the Bishop of Mylapore who was also the then Episcopal Governor.
Sunday Mass – Timings/Language: 6.30 am & 6.30 pm -English, 8.00 am -Tamil