Our Lady of Assumption

Our Lady of Assumption

Address:

Our Lady of Assumption Church
Pragasapuram
Tuticorin Dt
Pin : 628 616.
Ph.No : 04639-277395.

Brief History:

As a substation of Satankulam, Pragasapuram used to be called as Pudur-Pragasapuram. It became a parish in 1887 with 15 substations and 2882 Catholics. In 1909 it was not an independent parish. Once again it became a parish at the end of January 1909 with bifurcated substations from Satankulam and Punnaikayal parishes. It is known that people of one of its substations called Udaiyarkulam were converted in July 1878. The small church there was blessed by Fr. Denish Kushan who is known as the “Soldier of Satankulam Mission”. In Pragasapuam a small church of Our Lady of Assumption was built. Fr. T. Michael laid foundation for the new church in 1913. Construction was completed in the time of Fr. G. Francis, and Bishop Thomas consecrated the church on the 21 st of November 1917 .

Parish Priests:

Fr. Mas E., S.J., 1909
Fr. Michael T. 1911
Fr. Richard 1919
Fr. Adaikalam A. 1921
Fr. Marian M.S. 1931
Fr. Xavier Mel 1940
Fr. M. Fernando 1945
Fr. J.V. Poobalrayer 1947

Incoming search terms:

  • mail omegapc ch
0