Arockia Matha

Arockia Matha

Address:

Arockia Matha Church
Adaikalapuram
Tuticorin Dt
Pin : 628 217.
Ph.No : 04639-245782.

Brief History:

Adaikalapuram parish was formed out of the settlement surrounding and depending on Adaikalapuram charity institute. On the 9 th of September 1862 marriage took place between three couples who had been raised by the Charity Institute. In the following year also 4 marriages took place likewise. These seven families can be called as the fist parishioners of Adaikalapuram parish. The parish was started with these seven families as well as the workers of palmera industry who came from Vadakangulam, Pottakalanvilai, kayamozhi, Eral, Udangudi, Veeramanickam, Sethukkuvaithan, Seerkaichi, Ranimaharajapuram etc. We come to know this from the notes found in the Baptismal register kept by priests like Fr. Bosan, Couchan, Rayappar and Gregory. They built a small church with Our Lady of Refuge as their patron. When Fr. Joseph Roche was the director of the Charity Institute, he laid foundation of this church on the 19 th of March 1938 . It became an independent parish in 1952. Able priests such as Antony Xavier, Irudayaraj and Amaladas worked for its construction. Finally when Fr. C. Xavier was parish priest, Bishop Ambrose consecrated the church on the 6 th of September 1990 . Fr. Benziger laid foundation for St. Antony’s grotto which was completed in the time of Fr. M.S. Antony. He also built the rectory. The vestibule and bell tower were constructed in the time of Fr. Xavier Arul Raj. Fr. R. Antony Das built the Art building for cultural performances.

Parish Priests:

Rev. Arul Kumar 2004

Sub-station:

St. Anne’s Church
Nattaikulam
Church constructed in: 1940

0