St Joseph

St Joseph

Address:

St. Joseph ‘s Church
Udangudi
Tuticorin Dt
Pin : 628 203.
Ph.No : 04639-250777.

Brief History:

The Madurai Mission Historical Notes of 1914 show Udangudi as a substation of Periathalai. Before being made an independent parish in 1929, this village belonged to Manapad Parish. Foundation was laid for the present church by Fr. Stanislaus Raja in 1933 and in the time of Fr. D. Michael in 1943 construction was over. That very year on the 26 th of November Bishop Roche consecrated this church. The vestibule of the church was built by Fr. Alwin Villavarayer in 1983. St. Antony’s church was built in 1985 and in the time of Fr. Viladmir Rayen in 1984 Our Lady of Veilankanni Grotto was built. Renovation of the roof and construction of a Child Jesus Grotto were completed in view of the golden jubilee celebrations that took place in 1995.

Parish Priests:

Fr. Irudayaraja M. 1994

Patron Saint : St. Joseph

Side Chapels:

St. Antony’s Church (1885)
Our Lady of Good Health Grotto (1984)
Child Jesus Grotto(1996)

Substations:

Mariammalpuram
Church constructed in: 1935
Our Lady of Lourdes Church

Kulasekaranpatnam
Church constructed in: 1880
St. Xavier Church

Paduvai Nager
Church constructed in: 1982
Our Lady of Good Health Church

Anuhoolapuram
Church constructed in: 1982
Our Lady of Good Health Church

Mangalapuram
Church constructed in: 1916
St. Anne Church

Pitchivilai
Number of Catholics: 180
Church constructed in: 1910
St. Antony Church

Chettivilai
Church constructed in: 1986
Our Lady of Good Health Church

Nayinarpuram
Church constructed in: 1975
Our Lady of Assumption Church

Incoming search terms:

  • udankudi parish
2