St. Thomas Church,
Pin : 628 216.
People of Virapandianpattanam embraced Catholicism with the support of the Portuguese in 1535. St. Xavier visited this village often. In 1571 itself there was a church dedicated to St. Thomas according to the Jesuit Records of the same year. On the 12 th of February 1649 the Dutch plundered this church and village. From 1708 to 1709 Virapandianpattanam and Alanthalai were joined as one parith under the same parish priest. In 1713 it began to function as a parish under the care of Fr. Antony Dâ€™Souza. Foundation was laid for the present church in the time of the Jesuit priest Fr. Emmanuel Peireids in 1882 and the work was completed in1886. Bishop Canos consecrated the altar on the 13 th of August 1882 and the church was blessed on the 15 th of the same month.
16 parish priests served after the departure of the Jesuits (1775-1830)
28 parish priests served between 1838 to 1921 and the first among them is Fr. Deondonot.
Priests : Fr. Sahaya Joseph 1996
Patroness : St. Thomas
Feast of the : December 21
Church constructed in: 1993
Our Lady of Wealth Church