Sacred Heart Church
Dt. Godda â€“ 814 133,
Phone 06422-222812, 222025,
Parish Priest – Fr. James Valiapura.
Asst. Parish Priest – Fr. Rayppan S.- Principal.
Church Established – 1930.
Godda has a true copy of a document dated 21st August 1889 transferring certain landed property from the diocese of Allahabad to the Archdiocese of Calcutta. But it was abandoned except for the present mission property that the Patna Jesuits occupied in 1930. The old priestsâ€™ house was built by Fr. Ernst S.J. in 1940. Fr. A. Petit S.J. was the first resident priest who baptized the first Santhal Christian on 26-10-1930. The present church was built by Fr. Thomas Kozhimala and blessed on December 1, 1982. The new presbytery built by Fr. Varghese Azhaketh and blessed on 03-04-1996. There is a pucca village chapel at Daldali where Mass is celebrated every Sunday (11 k.m. from Godda) Church blessed in 1989. Number of Catholics 1785, catholic families 300, villages 75, Distance from Bhagalpur 65 k.m.
Among the TOR Fathers who were parish priest at Godda mention must made of Fr. Robert TOR, and Fr. Aquinas TOR, Fr. Simon Engler TOR, Fr. George Thymoottil was the first diocesan priest to be posted there; followed by Fr. Thomas Kozhimala. Then Fr. Varghese Azhaketh (1988-98); Fr. James Valiapura took over in 1998; Fr. James is the Diocesan Animator of Krus Vir for many years.0