Our Lady of Guidance Church
Raja Annamalai Puram
(Old No. 47), New No. 22,
Lazarus Church Road,
Chennai – 600 028.
Tel 044 – 24 64 24 33
This Parish is one of the oldest Parishes in the Archdiocese of Madras – Mylapore. It is more than 400 years old. This church dedicated to Lazarus was built in 1582 by Fr Ribeiro. It was extended and renovated by an European named Manuel Madra in 1637. In 1928, Fr A M Texeira, the Vicar General laid the foundation for the new Church. The Sacred Congregation of Propaganda issued a decree on 26 02 1954 that, ‘the Church of Lazarus would be hence forth known as the Church of Our Lady of Guidance [ Nossa Senhora de Guia ]’. This parish was first known as ‘Madre – de – Deus’ [ Mother of God], but since this place was entrusted to the Jesuit Fathers for the Retreat House, Lazarus Church was made the Parish Church. This Portuguese name Madre-de-Deus in due course, gave the name ‘Madras’ to this City. On 1st June 1957, this Church was erected as a Parish. On that day the statue of Our Lady of Guidance was transferred and installed in Lazarus Church from Madre-de-Deus Church.
Sunday Mass – Timings/Language : 6.00 am, 7.30 am & 5.15 pm – Tamil 9.00 am ? English
Incoming search terms:
- fr p s kanickairaj our lady of guidence church chennai
- lazarus church chennai mass timings