St. John Berchmans

St. John Berchmans

Contact Details:

St. John Berchmans Church
Dighia
Tuko P.O,
Ranchi
Pin : 835 202.

About the Church:

Dighia is one of the oldest parishes of the Archdiocese. The first pioneering missionary Fr. De Cock was often touring dighia, since 1883 and found that the Uraons were open to receive the Gospel, of course some to escape the harassment while others hoped for economic upliftment. From the very beginning the people were eager to embrace Christianity but the greatest obstacles were the landlords who were hostile to the missionaries on account of their support to the poor and the oppressed. He definitively arrived in Dighia on April 15, 1886 from Doranda where he was a military chaplain. He bought some property on April 14, 1886 and began to stay with a Christian family at Khudarkho. Soon after that the temporary residence was built and on July 11, the first Mass was clebrated in the mission centre. Unfortunately, he fell seriously sick and was taken to Calcutta where he died on August 6, 1888. Other missionaries: Fr. Hagenbeck, (1888), Fr. Cus (1889), Fr. Walrave (1890), came to the mission of Dighia. Till then there were 2300 Catholics there. On August 27, 1888 Archbishop Goethala appointed Fr. Lievens as the director of the whole of Lohardaga mission. Fr. Lievens came often to Dighia to help the Fathers and also to look after the people. With their hard labour the missionaries were able to liberate the people from the clutches of the zamindars and many embraced Christianity. Besides the zamindars there were other internal problems to be settled i.e. the gap between Christian and non-Christian Uraons concerning their tribal practices and cating the food prepared by non-Christians. Tactfully through common meetings the problem was solved. Steadily with the co-operation of the local people the Church and school buildings were built and the mission began to grow and bear fruit. The Daughters of St. Anne opened their convent at Dighia in 1927 and since then assisting in the parish with their school and medical services.

At present Dighia has the only recognised high school established and managed by the Catholic Sabha in the Archdioces.

Church Established – 1886

Village Chapels:

Ambua, Amdari, Beasi, Cheto, Kairo, Idri, Jamgain, Jamtoli, Jaria, Kachmachi, Khijri, Khirda, Mahuri, Mandri, Palmi, Pipartoli, Purio, Rogo, Supa, Tilsiri

Institutions:

St. Pius’ High School,
Dighia, Tuko P.O,
Ranchi-835 202.

St. Mary’s Middle School,
Dighia,
Tuko P.O,
Ranchi-835 202.

RC Middle School,
Dighia, Tuko P.O,
Ranchi-835 202.

R.C. Primary School,
Chetokario,
Bharno P.O.

R.C. Primary School,
Idri Murto P.O,
Ranchi.

R.C. Primary School,
Jamtoli,
Bero P.O,
Ranchi.

R.C. Primary School,
Jaria, Bero P.O,
Ranchi.

Aid Nurses Training,
Cecilia Dispensary Dighia, Tuko P.O,
Ranchi-835 202.
Ph (0652)977521.

Convent:

Daughters of St. Anne (dsa)
St. Anne’s Convent,Tuko P.O,
Ranchi-835 202.

Hospital:

St. Anne’s Dispensary,
Tuko P.O,
Ranchi-835 202.

0