St.Antony

St.Antony

Address:

St. Antony’s Church
Saveriarpuram
Tuticorin Dt
Pin : 628 005.
Ph.No:0461-2355155.

Brief History:

In 1827 some palm-tappers namely Mariendran Nadar, Maria Michael Nadar, Thommai Michael Nadar and Kalunguvilaiyar family dwelt in this place. They in 1867 built a thatched church to St. Antony and a thatched school as well. About 21 families were there and 64 children went to school. During the time of Bishop Roche, Fr. Benedict renewed the church with tiles and timber. In 1975 in the time of Bishop Ambrose Fr. Gnanapragasam laid foundation for the new church. As Fr. Gnanapragasam went in transfer, the work was resumed by Fr. Pancras. Saveriarpuram was taken from Pazhaiyakayal parish and joined with Harbour parish in 1982. Fr. U. Amaladas, the parish priest of Harbour parish built St. Antony’s church in 1986 and had it blessed by Bishop Amalnather. Construction of the rectory began in 1988. Bishop Amalnather on the 25 th of June 1990 made Saveriarpuram as the 72 nd parish of Thoothukudi diocese. Fr. Joseph Isidore in 1994 completed the work of the church and set a new altar which was blessed by Bishop Amalnather.

Parish Priests:

Rev. Amaladas 1991-1992
Rev. Joseph Isidore 1992-1997
Rev. Joseph Xavier 1997

Feast of : St. Antony, January 29

Substations:

Christ the King, Spic Nager
St. Michael, Bharathi Nager
St. Joseph , Soosainager
St. Xavier, Kulaiyankarisal
Atthimarappatti

0