St. Lucia

St. Lucia

Address:

St. Lucia ‘s Chruch
Seidunganallur
Tuticorin Dt
Pin : 628 809.
Ph.No : 04630-263207.

Brief History:

In the Madurai Mission History released in 1914, Seidunganallur is mentioned as one of the 14 substations of Palayamkottai. It is stated that a church named after St. Lucia had been built in 1644 and 92 Catholics lived at Seidunganallur. Seidunganallur came under the jurisdiction of Tuticorin when the latter became a diocese in 1923. Only in 1942 it became an independent parish with 14 substations. Among them the ancient churches at Karungulam, Kaliavoor and Manakkarai were built as early as in 1896. Fr. D. Gnanapragasam who served in this historically significant parish from 1939 to 1946, had been noted for his extraordinary evangelization ministry. The new church was built at last by Fr. S. Francis in 1982, although its foundation had been laid several years back.

Parish Priests:

Fr. Jeyejothy 1995-1998

Patron : St. Lucia

Substations:

Nattarkulam
Church constructed in: 1938
St. Joseph Church

Vasavappapuram
Church constructed in: 1930
St. Anne Church

Karungulam
Church constructed in: 1896
St. Joseph Church

Manakkarai
Church constructed in: 1896
St. Catherine Church

Thuthankulam
Church constructed in: 1952
Holy Redeemer Church

Jesurajapuram
Church constructed in: 1959
Christ the King Church

Alikudi
Church constructed in: 1968
: St. Therese Church

Kaliavoor
Church constructed in: 1896
St. Xavier Church

Kalangarai
Church constructed in: 1951
Our Lady of Lourdes Church

Mutthalankurichi
Church constructed in: 1970
St. Antony Church

Melanattarkulam
Church constructed in: 1935
St. Martin Church

Miaganpalli
Church constructed in: 1967
St. Antony Church

0