St. Xavier

St. Xavier

Address:

St. Xavier’s Church
Arumuganeri
Tuticorin Dt
Pin : 628 202.
Ph.No : 04639-280809.

Brief history:

Until 1946 Arumuganeri was the biggest among the eight substations of Adaikalapuram parish. When it had been a substation of Satankulam parish, 18 families were converted to Catholicism in 1860. The Madurai Mission Historical Notes of 1913 mentions about 408 Cathilics at Arumuganeri then. It is considered that St. Xavier’s church was built in 1860. In the time of Fr. Rosario Coreira this church was renewed in 1954. It is significant that Karanam, one of the substation of this parish is directly related to the mission of St. Xavier himself. Kurumbur was bifurcated as an independent parish on June 14, 1985 , with Puraiyur, Thandayarvilai, Idaiyanvilai as its substations. Fr. Viladmir Rayan built St. Antony’s Chapel at D.C.W. Sahupuram in 1974. Fr. Pancras expanded the Sacristy and Fr. Joseph Amalraj renewed the Church entirely. He also renewed St. Antony’s Church at Karanam. Fr. Viagula Marian renewed the rectory. Fr. M. Thomas constructed Our Lady of Lourdes Grotto, which was consecrated on the 2 nd of December 1996 . He also renewed the church at C.D.W. Sahupuram.

Parish Priests:

Rev. Viladmir Rayan 1997

Patron Saint : St. Antony Church
Special Patroness: St. Anne
Feast of the Patron Saint : December 3

Substations:

St. Antony of the Desert church
MelaKaranam
Church constructed in: 1890

St. Antony Church
Sonahanvilai
Church constructed in: 1967

St. Antony Church
Rajamanyapuram
Church constructed in: 1977

0