Sts. Peter & Paul Church
Pin : 628 221.
Ph.No : 04639-245306.
Alanthalai is one of the ancient villages in the pearl fishery coast in the middle of the sixteenth century. St. Francis Xavier stayed in this village and wrote at least two letters on the 5 th of September 1544 to Francis Mansilus camping at Punnaikayal. We come to know that 1178 catholics lived here in 1644 and among them 140 were children The parish priest planned and started the work to build a church of St. Peter . But, due to several reasons he could not proceed with the work. Meanwhile St. Antonyâ€™s church was built. Finally Fr. Chansess completed the work of St. Peterâ€™s church in 1712. From 1708 to 1709 both Alanthalai and Veerapandianpattanam was governed by Fr. John Meinot. However, Alanthalai was bifurcated from Veerapandianpattanam and the first Tamil speaking priest Fr. Constance Thairiyam became its parish priest. Internal turbulence occurred in this village between 1915 to 1918. But, when Fr. Ambrose Missier took charge, foundation was laid for the present church on the 29 th of June 1929 . In his time itself Sacred Heart Grotto was built as a memorial of the peace that was achieved in the village. In 1929 Fr. Soosainather was made the parish priest. In his time the Nuncio Most. Rev. Leo Petercearcals consecrated the church in 1938.
Rev. Irudayaraj F. 2003
Patron Saints : St. Peter and St. Paul
Feast of Patron Saints : June 29
Feast of the Grotto : Last Friday of August
Incoming search terms:
- www alanthalai church com
- alanthalai church
- St Peter\s church Tuticorin