St Andrew Church
No.123, Kalathiappa Street,
Chennai – 600 112.
Tel 044 – 26 61 22 03 / 25 32 40 15
St Andrew’s, the first Church in Vepery is one of the earliest Roman Catholic churches in Madras. It is the Mother Church for the famous Votive Shrine in Kilpauk, Our Lady of Lourdes Shrine in Perambur, St Joseph’s in Vepery, St Anthony’s in Pudupet and St Anthony’s in Narasingapuram. The old Church of St Andrew’s was built by Rev Fr Felix, an Italian Capuchin in 1830. Msgr D Raju who was the 28th Parish Priest [1940 – 1971] of St Andrew’s Church built the new Church which now exists with great splendour. Msgr P Thomas, late Archbishop of Bangalore, was the Parish Priest from 1931 to 1939.The new Church was constructed at the same site as the old one constructed by the Capuchin Father in Kalathiappa Street.
Sunday Mass – Timings/Language: 5.30 am & 7.30 am -Tamil 9.00 am & 5.30 pm – English