St. Anne

St. Anne

Address:

St. Anne’s Church
Thattarmadam
Tuticorin Dt
Pin : 628 653.
Ph.No : 04639- 253132.

Brief History:

Thattarmadam is situated at the intersection of the highway that is 13 k.m. west of Udangudi, 10 k.m. east of Thisayanvilai and 10 k.m. south of Satankulam. By 1626 some Catholics came to dwell at the northern part of Thattarmadam. Because there was no Catholic chuch, they went to Sokkankudiyiruppu for worship. With the intention of having a church inside the village, they put up a thatched church in the middle of the village. While considering which name could be given to the church, Our Lady appeard in a dream to Mr. Savarimuthu Nadar and asked him to name the church after the name of a lady standing nearby. Her name was Santhanam and hence they named the church after St. Anne. The Latin name, Santha Anna became in Tamil as Santhanal. In 1948, Fr. Ignasi laid foundation around the thatched church in view of building a stone church. Work get delayed due to land dispute. After they won the case by the mercy of Our Lady, Fr. Mariadas completed the church work. Bishop Ambrose blessed it. Fr. Satyanesan built the sacristy, which in time became the present rectory. The villagers of Thattarmadam wished it to be an independent parish, as they had been dwelling in that place for about 400 years. Fr. Satyanesan and Fr. Martin cooperated with the efforts of the villagers. Bishop Peter Fernando made it as an independent parish on the 3rd of March 2002.

Parish Priests:

Fr. Peter Raja 2002

patron Saint : St. Anne
Feast of the : Sunday after Pongal

Substation:

Kandiyapuram

Location

Incoming search terms:

  • Thattarmadam
0