Sacred Heart Church,
PHONE : 06347-220144, 09431671349.
Parish Priest – Fr. Stephen P. K.
Church Established – 1928.
Frs. Westropp and Miller were the pioneer Jesuits at Gajhi and Chakai from 1928. But it was Fr. John Morrison, S.J. who was there for about 25 years from 1944. He was expelled by the government as persona non grata in 1969. The church built by Fr. Morrison was blessed by Bishop Augustine Wildermuth S.J. of Patna in 1971. The Chakai Church is the only church in Bhagalpur built in solid stones of Munger. Baptismal Registers record the names of Frs. John Morrison S.J. (1944-69) D. T. Rice S.J. (1958-59) Joseph Briffa (1961-62) Dionis Kiro TOR (1972-73). Fr. Scaria Kollerette was the first diocesan priest (1972-73); Fr. Gregory Kuttickal (1972-79) Fr. Joseph Mulloor (1981-82) Fr. Paul Kundorpally (1982-88) Fr. Mathew Kaithara (1989-92) Fr. James Koorkakalla (1992-98) Fr. Rayappan (1998-99) Fr. George Vanmelil (2000) Fr. Simon Kujur (2002- ). Number of Catholics 1494 in 30 villages. Catholic families 300. Village Masses in Pojha, Gadhura, Badgunda. It may added that it was in Badgunda village that Bro. Joseph S.G. (62) lived alone in a mud building along with Sr. Manju of the Holy Cross from 1990 for ten years with the approval of Bishop G. Saupin S.J. of happy memory. Bro. Joseph was a Provincial for two terms (1974-80). Badgunda is 20 k.m. off the main Chakai-Giridih road. Bro. Joseph was run down at the end of the experiment â€˜Kenosisâ€™ (Phil 2:7-8) is really Greek to many of us priests and religious but glory comes only after the cross. Chakai has many educated people with jobs in the railway, armed forces, and other fields. The Jesuits used to send many boys to Krist Raja School in Bettiah for their High Schools getting an early start in life. Many priestly and religious vocations have come from Chakai. Thanks to the prayers and penance of the Jesuit pioneers one of whom is said to have gone to bed on an empty stomach because he had no means to buy any food. (Ref. to Fr. Miller)2