Christ the king

Christ the king

Address:

Christ the King Church
Nanguneri
Tuticorin Dt
Pin : 627 108.
Ph.No : 04635-250278.

Brief History:

According to the Madurai Mission historical records of 1914, Nanguneri was one of the 22 substations of Annaikarai with 70 Catholics. A little church built in 1880 and dedicated to the Sacred Heart of Jesus existed. On the 1st of May 1937 Bishop Roche made it an independent mission by bifurcating it from Annaikarai parish. In the beginning Singaneri was the main station of the priest. In 1940 on the 13th of June it was shifted to Eruvadi. As it became inconvenient as well, in 1961 the head of the Taluk Nanguneri was made as the main station. It is due to the zeal and efforts of Fr. Antony S. Fernando, Nanguneri became a lively mission. In his time the historically significant event took place when the Indian Nuncio His Grace Knox Caprio and another papal ambassador His Grace Joseph came to this mission and consecrated the churches at Unnankulam and Erukalaipatti in 1967 and 68. Rectory was built in 1968.

This mission has given two vicar generals to our diocese namely Msgr. Mariadas (Meenavankulam) and Msgr. Stephendas (Thottakudi). Fr. Stanislaus (1972-76) built schools in Karangadu, Meenavankulam and Pottaisutti. Fr. Arthur James (1977-1981) built the new church at Nanguneri and Osanam Charity institute. In 1997 Fr. Gerald established Little Flower Women technical institute. From this parish were bifurcated Vallioor parish in 1968, Elangulam parish in 1981 and Eruvadi parish in 1985. Now Fr. Jerocine is serving as the parish priest.

Parish Priests:

Fr. Jerocine A. Kattar 1997

Patron Saint : Christ the King
Feast of the : November

Substations:

Singaneri
Church constructed in: 1937
St. Antony Church

Muthlapuram
Church constructed in: 1805
St. Sebastian Church

Upporani
Church constructed in: 1960
St. Joseph Church

Mela Karangadu
Church constructed in: 1958
Immaculate heart of our Lady Church

Unnankulam
Church constructed in: 1968
St. Joseph Church

Malayankulam
Church constructed in: 1900
Our Lady of Sorrows Church

Thuvaraikulam
Church constructed in: 1990
St. Michael Church

Kila Karangadu
Church constructed in: 1961
Our Lady of the Assumption Church

Annurani Sagayapuram
Church constructed in: 1978
Our Lady of Perpetual Help Church

Pattinaparai
Church constructed in: 1900
Our Lady of Lourdes Church

Pottaisutti
Church constructed in: 1900
St. Michael Church

Srirangarajapuram
Church constructed in: 1972
Patron: Christ the King Church

North Meenavankulam
Church constructed in: 1880
Our Lady of the Rosary Church

South Meenavankulam
Church constructed in: 1983
Sacred Heart of Jesus Church

Kusavankulam
Church constructed in: 1942
St. Xavier Church

Erukalaipatti
Church constructed in: 1968
St. Antony Church

Thottakudi
Church constructed in: 1965
St. Stephen Church

0