From time to time the Church has listed certain specific duties of Catholics. Some duties expected of Catholic Christian today including the following, (those traditionally mentioned as Precepts of the Church are marked with an asterisk.)
- To keep holy the day of the Lordâ€™s Resurrection: to worship God by practicing in Mass every Sunday and Holy day of Obligation;* to avoid those activities that would hinder renewal of soul and body, e.g., needless work and business activities, unnecessary shopping, etcâ€¦
- To lead a sacrament life: to receive Holy communication frequently and the sacrament of Penance regularly â€“ minimally, to receive the sacrament of penance at least once a year (annual confession is obligatory only if serious sin is involved).* – minimally, to receive Holy Communication at least once a year, between the first Sunday of Lent and Trinity Sunday.*
- To study Catholic teaching in preparation for the Sacrament of Confirmation, to be confirmed, and then to continue to study and advance the cause of Christ.
- To observe the marriage laws of the Church:* to give religious training (by example and word) to oneâ€™s children; to use parish schools and religious education programs.
- To Strengthen and support the Church;* oneâ€™s own parish community the parish priests; the world wide Church and the Holy Father.
- To do penance, including abstaining from meat and fasting from food on the appointed days.*
- To join in the missionary Spirit and Apostolate of the Church.