Our Lady of Holy Rosary Church – Sundermur
Our Lady of Holy Rosary Church
P.O. Saroni Bazar,
Dt. Godda â€“ 814 157, Jharkhand
Parish Priest – Fr. Mathew Kaithara.
Church Established – 1945.
Sundermur was a sub-station of Godda. Fr. Ernst S.J. built the first church probably in 1945. The first resident priest was Fr. Thomas Cheradil who died in an accident on 5th July 1972. Sundermur has a bridge over the river and there is puca road all the way from the main road connecting Godda. According to the Baptismal Register the Parish Priests were as follows: Fr. Alex Pichakappally (1976-80); Fr. Michael Kallamplackal (1981-85); Fr. Emmanuel Mulavilil (1985-87); Fr. Jose Kunnupraum (1988-92); Fr. Mathew Chennatt (1993-97); Fr. Mathew Kaithara (1998- ). Fr. Mathew Kaithara built the beautiful new church on 23-10-2003 and blessed by three Bishops, Bishop Thomas Kozhimala, Bishop Vincent Barwa of Purnea and Bp. Julius Marandi of Dumka. Fr. Kaithara is now busy in building a new presbytery. Number of Catholics 1000; families 235; villages 22. Distance from Bhagalpur via Godda-Panjwara 83 k.m. Fr. Kaithara is well known for his Santhali classes every summer (July). The last was the 10th year in succession. Fr. Kaithara gives regular Bible Classes to the youth every Saturday explaining the texts for the following Sunday. Besides good benefactors in Europe, he has a good number of friends in Australia helping in his work. He has visited Australia 3 times already.