St John the Baptist Church
Chennai – 600 056.
Tel 044 – 26 49 23 62 / 26 27 38 84
This Parish existed from 1818 and in the year 1840 a small chapel was built to serve the British soldiers who were residing at the then Military Hospital which was later converted into the Sacred Heart Seminary. It was formally established as a Parish and was entrusted to the Oblates in 1978. The present Parish church was built in 1989. Five Parishes, namely, Maduravoyal, Porur, Kundrathur, Melma Nagar and Pazhanjur have been bifurcated from this Parish.This Parish has a population of 6748 catholics. A large number of educational and other social service institutions are run by the Religious, apart from the ecclesiastical institutions.
Sunday Mass – Timings/Language: 6.15 am & 7.45 am – Tamil