Our Lady of Assumption

Our Lady of Assumption


Our Lady of the Assumption Church
Tuticorin Dt
Pin : 628 903.
Ph.No : 04638-227510.

Brief History:

Kizhavaipar is one of the ancient 5 Padroado parishes of Pearl Fishery Coast. Even after Tuticorin was made a diocese, it continued to be with the Mylapore Padroado diocese. In accordance with the contract between the Vatican and the Portuguese government on the 1 st of April 1929 , Kizhavaipar with joined with Thoothukudi diocese on the 4 th of April 1930 . The last parish priest from Mylapore diocese at Kizhavaipar was Fr. C. Nazareth. The Jesuit record shows that a church existed at Kizhavaipar dedicated to Our Lady of Assumption as early as 1571. This parish was made into 7 Basic Christian Communities on the 11 th of December 1994 . In 1995 parish council was constituted with the representatives of the Basic Christian Communities. St. Antony’s grotto in the beach was enlarged in 1995 and a grotto of the Child Jesus was constructed inside the campus in 1996.

Parish Priests:

Fr. Rupert Arulvalan 1994

Patron Saint : Our Lady of Assumption Church
Feast of the Patroness :August 15