St. Lucia

St. Lucia


St. Lucia ’s Church
Tuticorin Dt
Pin : 627 654.
Ph.No : 04637-286608
– 286635

Brief History:

Anaikarai had been an ancient mission under Madurai Mission run by the Jesuits. Tradition has it that St. Xavier stayed at Sankanankulam and Rummathupuram, the present substations of Anaikarai. The Pastoral Register of 1713 lists Isalapuram as situated only half a mile from Anaikarai. From 1885 to 1890 this mission had been under the care of Fr. Mengale. In 1890 Anaikarai with its substations became part of Satankulam parish. It was with Ovari parish for sometime as well. Finally in 1910 Anaikarai became an independent parish with Fr. Kuthurier as its first parish priest. According to the Register of 1914, 22 Anaikarai had 22 substations, among which several are now with Nanguneri parish. The church was built in honor of the nativity of Our Lady with St. Lucia as the secondary patroness. However, due to the popular significance of the devotional activities pertaining to St. Lucia , her feast has become prevalent. Annually her feast is celebrated on the 8 th of September considering the convenience of the devotees.

Parish Priests:

Rev. Joseph Leon 1996


Anaikarai (po) 628 654
Pettaikulam (via)
Telephone: 04637-577213

Feast of the Patroness : St. Lucia, September 8


St. Xavier Church
Church constructed in: 1850

St. Joesph Church
Church constructed in: 1940

St. Peter Church
Church constructed in: 1996

St. Michael the Archangel Church
Church constructed in: 1910

St. Esthakier Church
Church constructed in: 1952

Our Lady of Rosary Church
Rammathapuram Naduvoor
Church constructed in: 1970

St. Xavier Church
Church constructed in: 1850

St. Ignatius Church
Church constructed in: 1967

Holy Redeemer Church
Duraikudiyiruppu Athukurichi
Church constructed in: 1987

St. Esthakier Church
Church constructed in: 1972

St. Xavier Church
Church constructed in: 1920