Fifth apparitions August 19
The apparitions at â€œValinhosâ€
Sunday August 19:
On Sunday August 19, assisting at the parish Mass, the three little shepherds, accompanied by the several persons, Left for the Cova da Iria in order to Rosary there. In the afternoon, Lucy and Francisco, with John, his brother a little older, took the road of Valinhos (the small Valleyâ€™s), to feed their flocks. It was the closest, most grassy pasture, at mid-elevation between Aljustrel and the top of the Cabeco. Let us listen too sister Lucy relate the unexpected apparition which came to shower them with an immense joy:
I felt that something supernatural was approaching and enveloping us suspecting that Our Lady was going to appear to us, and feeling sorry that Jacinta would not to be see Her, We asked her brother John to go and get her. But john wanted to stay, to see our Lady as well! Then Lucy who had with her two coins, had an Idea: I will give you two nickels if you bring back Jacinta to me! Here is one now, and I will give you the other when you return! He left with all haste while Francisco Shouted to him: Tell her come running! It was about 4 oâ€™clock in the afternoon.
In the meantime, Lucy continues, I saw with Francisco the Flash of light, what we called lightning. Jacinta having arrived, an instant later, we saw Our Lady upon a holm-oak:
– What does your Grace want for me?
– I want you to continue going to the Cova da Iria on the 13th, that you continue praying the Rosary every day. On the last month, I will perform a miracle so that all may believe. If they had not taken you to the city, the miracle would have been greater. Saint Joseph will come with the Child Jesus, to give peace to the world. Our Lord will come to bless the people. Our Lady of the Rosary and Our Lady of Sorrows will come also.
– What do you want them to do with the money the people leave at the Cova da Iria?
– Have Two litters made. You will carry one with Jacinta and two other girls dressed in white. The other one Francisco did carry, with three boys, like him, dressed in white. It will be for the feast of Our Lady of the Rosary. What is left over will help towards the construction of a chapel that is to be built,
– I should like to ask you to cure some sick persons.
– Yes, I will cure some of them during the Year.
Then, looking more sad, Our Lady said:
– Pray, pray very much, and make sacrifices for shiners, for many souls go to Hell because they have no one to make sacrifices and pray for them.
And as usual, She began to ascend towards the east.